King Charles III is reportedly “very concerned” that President Donald Trump may launch into inflammatory remarks about immigration during his upcoming state visit to the United Kingdom in September, according to palace sources. The concerns arose following Trump’s recent comments during his private trip to Scotland, where he described immigration as a “horrible invasion” that is “killing Europe.”
After touching down at Glasgow Airport on Friday, July 25, Trump told waiting reporters that European leaders needed to address what he characterized as a migration crisis. A friend of the monarch told The Daily Beast that Charles would be appalled by Trump’s Friday remarks, which appeared driven by his domestic agenda, and expressed significant worry about the possibility of similar outbursts in September.
Civil servants have raised concerns that Trump might violate protocol by making politicized comments during his state visit, scheduled for September 17-19. The President is expected to deliver the traditional speech at the state banquet held in his honor by the king and queen when he arrives at Windsor Castle.
A civil servant informed The Daily Beast that foreign visitors meeting the king are routinely advised that he is constitutionally apolitical and should not be involved in political controversy. However, the official noted that Trump does not feel bound by traditional rules. The risks of Trump conducting impromptu media interviews during the state visit have been factored into planning considerations.
Palace sources expressed particular concern about the possibility of Trump making unscheduled statements to the media while standing alongside the king. A friend of the monarch indicated that if Trump begins criticizing immigration policies to cameras while the king is present, Charles would find such a situation difficult to manage.
The visit comes at a time when immigration has become a source of increasingly bitter division in the United Kingdom. Record numbers of small boats carrying undocumented immigrants have landed on British shores this year, leading to violent protests at hotels used to house migrants. Reform UK leader Nigel Farage has warned that Britain is approaching “civil disobedience on a vast scale” over the immigration issue.
Trump’s upcoming visit will mark the first time a United States president has received two state visits to Britain. His previous state visit occurred in 2019 during his first presidential term when he met with the late Queen Elizabeth II. The invitation for the September visit was initially extended by Prime Minister Keir Starmer in February, with King Charles later sending a formal letter of invitation known as a “manu regia.”
Former UK Ambassador to Washington Sir Kim Darroch revealed that Trump’s team had previously been concerned about potential protests during his first state visit. Speaking to the Financial Times, Darroch indicated that White House aides were sensitive to the prospects of embarrassment, hostile crowds, or low turnout. The 2019 visit was notably marked by the appearance of a 20-foot “Trump Baby” blimp that hovered over Whitehall during protests.
Trump met with Prime Minister Starmer during his recent Scotland visit on July 28, hosting him and his wife Victoria at Trump Turnberry. The meeting included discussions about the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and the Russia-Ukraine conflict, with Trump setting what he described as a new deadline for Russian President Vladimir Putin to agree to a peace deal.
The president also met with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on July 27 to discuss international trade deals following his tariff threats. Trump had initially warned of a 30 percent blanket tariff on European goods, but the parties ultimately settled on a 15 percent rate after the European Commission proposed a “zero-for-zero” deal.
Trump’s recent UK trip was met with demonstrations from locals, including protest signs at Trump Turnberry and a projection truck in Aberdeen displaying images of Trump with Jeffrey Epstein. The president opened a new golf course at his Aberdeenshire resort, where he referred to First Minister John Swinney as a “terrific guy” during the ceremony.
While King Charles was also in Scotland during Trump’s visit, the two did not meet in person. The king traveled to Dounreay in the Scottish Highlands on July 28 to mark the 70th anniversary of two major nuclear facilities. He visited Scrabster Harbour in Thurso, where he met with local sea cadets and Royal National Lifeboat Institution volunteers.
Palace sources have indicated that the September state visit schedule has been carefully planned to minimize potential controversies. Parliament will be in recess during Trump’s visit, preventing the possibility of an address to lawmakers that might result in poor attendance or walkouts by opposition members. The itinerary focuses primarily on Windsor Castle rather than central London to avoid potential street protests.
The king’s concerns about Trump’s visit occur amid ongoing health challenges, as Charles continues cancer treatment that has left him reportedly exhausted. Sources close to the monarch have indicated that Queen Camilla wants him to reduce his workload, though he remains committed to his official duties.
Sources noted that everything will be done to ensure the king is not placed in an embarrassing position during the state visit. The planning relies heavily on Trump’s previously demonstrated respect for the British royal family to prevent protocol breaches during official ceremonies and public appearances.